Tuesday 10 November 2020

Money | Measurement | Subtraction & Addition | Multiplication

This week, we shared our knowledge on two different areas in maths to two people in the class. We also learned about different maths areas.

First, we found a partner to teach and learn from. My first partner was Leon. Leon was teaching me about measurement. Measurement is finding out the width, amount, length and height. Leon taught me how to convert the different units of measurement. To convert 12cm to mm, we divide by ten because ten mm is one cm. 12 cm ÷ 10 = 1.2. I also learned what 1 cm, 1 m and 1 km is made out of. 1 cm is made from 10 mm, 1 m is made from 100 cm, 1 km is made from 1000 m. 

I taught Leon about subtraction and addition. Addition is the action of giving something to another thing. Subtraction is the action of taking away from something. I explained how to use the written algorithm way for subtraction and addition. I also explained how the algorithm way is very similar to place value. Starting from the ones and adding/subtracting that all the way to the highest place value, is the best way to add/subtract.

In the second session, my partner was Chisa. Chisa taught me about adding money. I mostly found this session easy because I have learned things about money in the past. Money works in 100's. For example: if I have 10c and someone gives me 90c more, I will own 1 dollar. This is because 10 + 90 = 100, and since money works in the 100's, we round it to 1.

After learning that, I taught Chisa how to multiply. I explained how to multiply using the Lattice method, Japanese method and algorithm method. Multiplication is the process of repeatedly adding certain amount of numbers. To multiply two digit by two digit numbers, we need to multiply the ones first. For example: if the equation was 24 x 12. 4 x 2 = 8. Then we need to multiply the first ten to the second one. 10 x 2 = 20. Now multiply the twenty by ten. 20 x 10 = 200. Then multiply the 4 by 10. 4 x 10 = 40. After that, add all of them together. 8 + 20 + 40 + 200 - 268. 

I enjoyed these two sessions and learned new things. I think that understanding these areas in maths can help you to do things quickly and increase your knowledge. Chisa and Leon were both great teachers. I found teaching hard.

LI: To improve in different areas in maths.
 Ruler Stock Illustrations – 71,984 Ruler Stock Illustrations, Vectors &  Clipart - Dreamstime Free Multiplication Clip Art with No Background - ClipartKeyAddition And Subtraction Cliparts, Stock Vector And Royalty Free Addition  And Subtraction IllustrationsImage for Free Stacks Of Money With Coins High Resolution Clip Art | Money  clipart, Clip art, Money pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.